The Original Newsletter Created by and For Auditors!
Audit News that's Fit to Print!
Join our mailing list!
July 2017 - Business Continuity
Wolters Kluwer is dedicated to helping to solve their customers most pressing needs. Solutions include: TeamMate AM, audit management; TeamMate CM, controls management; and TeamMate Analytics, data analysis. Together, this ecosystem of solutions provide you with confidence you need to manage all aspects of risk identification and assessment, electronic working paper creation and management, controls framework management, and data analysis. Learn more at www.TeamMateSolutions.com
CaseWare Analytics IDEA - Data Analysis Software, is the standard in ease of use for auditors, accountants and financial managers.
KnowledgeLeader is a website repository of audit programs, checklists, resources and best practices. The site has tools you can download and customize so that you never have to start from scratch and articles that will keep you informed and up-to-date on best practices and trends. Start a trial today.
Welcome to the 2017 AuditNet® Newsletter! AuditNet® publishes a monthly newsletter featuring articles, new content, surveys on audit use of technology, white papers, and audit related monographs and other timely information. Return to our site every month to read the latest Audit News That's Fit to Print. The current newsletter theme will be displayed at the top of the newsletter and you will find articles and information related to that theme. You will also find links to our latest Webinars for audit software from NASBA approved sponsors.
Jim Kaplan CIA CFE and AuditNet® Founder
This Month's Featured Articles
Digital Transformation, Data Governance and Internal Audit Summary: This article addresses what questions chief audit executives should be asking themselves to ensure that their organizations are ready to take on digital transformation. Read the article now!
AuditNet® Updated the CPE Fees for Non-Subscribers and Non-Site License Users. Effective July 1, 2017 AuditNet® modified the CPE fee policy. The new fees take effect with all training beginning in July for CPE processing fees for non-subscribers and non-site license users attending the AuditNet 2017 Webinars. For the details click here!
Seating for the AuditNet® 2017 Webinars is limited. Registration and attendance will be free for subscribers and site license users subject to the seating capacity of 1,000 attendees. Registrations for non subscribers or non-site license users who opt-out of our emails will be cancelled. Non-subscribers and non-site license users who would like to earn CPE must meet NASBA eligibility criteria AND pay a CPE processing fee. All registrations are automatically approved however this does not guarantee attendance for those who do not meet the AuditNet criteria.
Following are the current Webinars available for registration:
- July 20 - IT Fraud and Countermeasures (IT Fraud Series Part 4 of 8) (2 CPE) Register Now
- July 27 - Fieldwork (1.5 CPE) Register Now
- August 17 - Digital Evidence (IT Fraud Series Part 5 of 8) Register Now
- September 8 - Internal Audit's Role in Ethics, Governance, & Culture Register Now
- September 13 Maximizing Textual Analytics to Minimize Fraud Risks (2 CPE) Register Now.
- December 13 Visualize Audit Sampling and Fraud Detection in Excel (2 CPE) Register Now.
Upcoming Appearances - I will be speaking (The Internet of Things (Everything is Connected) and Internal Audit) at this year's TeamMate User Forum, a global event attracting auditors from some of the most innovative audit departments in the world, both large and small, across all industries. The core purpose of the TeamMate User Forum is to connect industry leading audit professionals, users of TeamMate software, and representatives from all departments within Wolters Kluwer. I look forward to meeting TeamMate users at this networking and learning event! Watch the YouTube video for a preview!
Detecting Corruption with Analytics: A Roadmap By Richard B. Lanza, CPA, CFE, CGMA The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (“ACFE”) classifies corruption into four schemes: (1) bribery, (2) illegal gratuities, (3) economic extortion, and (4) conflicts of interest. Corruption is essentially the abuse of entrusted power for private gain; it uses a company as a tool for personal gain which is contrary to the official or fiduciary duty of the organization.
There are various reasons identified in the recently released research brief, Detecting Corruption with Analytics: A Roadmap. To download the brief go to the Institute for International Analytics Website. Stream the recent Webinar on demand from cRisk Academy featuring Rich Lanza - Detecting Corruption and Other Business Conflicts With Analytics and earn CPE
on a Training on a Flash Drive - Did you miss our 2016 Data Analytics Webinars? Not to worry - we have loaded the 2016 Minutes to Analytics Webinars on a flash drive including the recordings, data files, slides, and an app so you can watch the training at your convenience. The flash drive with all the recordings and files are available for purchase for $199. You can use these on your laptop when you travel, your desktop in your home or office or use them for training your staff. Check out the Webinars on the drive with a link to pay at this article. Unfortunately we cannot offer CPE for viewing these Webinars however at $199 is a great deal and of course the knowledge is "priceless"!ADDED BONUS: Order any of our audit training on a flash drive (Minutes to Analytics, IT Audit Training, IDEA Audit Training) and you will receive Data Mining for Payroll Fraud on DVD at no extra charge. This is a limited time offer and is limited to the first 75 orders placed. Add a Premium Subscription to any Training on the Go Flash Drives for only $100! The following AuditNet®training is available on flash drives:
- 2016 Data Analytics Series
- IT Audit Basic and Advanced (10 recordings)
- IDEA Training Series (12 recordings)
cRisk On Demand Special Offer - sign up and watch Utilize Big Data Analytics Now and earn CPE.
AuditSoftwareVideos is now AuditSoftwareVideos powered by AuditNet® We are updating the site, adding new content and partnering with a cRisk Academy and offering our Webinars on demand with CPE Each month we feature a current recording for all to view.
on a Templates on a Flash Drive - Tired of searching and downloading the templates one by one. We now offer the "AuditNet® content Templates on a Flash Drive" for individuals and companies. We have set up the ability for individuals, groups and vendors to acquire and use the AuditNet® content. Individuals and groups will be able to purchase a flash drive with all the templates available to subscribers as of December 31, 2016 (almost 2,700). The templates on a flash drive can be used for non-commercial use within your own organization (no sharing with others). Pricing will be based on staff size. Vendors will be able to acquire the templates for commercial purposes under a separate licensing agreement. The pricing for the "Templates on a Flash Drive" is available now. If you are interested in pricing or have other questions on this new option send an email to email@example.com.
Richard Cascarino, an AuditNet® Webinar presenter, speaker and subject matter expert has a new book - Data Analytics for Internal Auditors. Read the AuditNet® book review!
2017 Audit Technology Capabilities and Needs Assessment There are a wide variety of tools and technologies currently available to auditors. Regardless of your function's size, the need for enhanced audit capabilities and increased productivity are paramount to adding value in your organization. The purpose of this survey is to:
- Take a pulse on what audit needs and capabilities are currently being met
- Identify where technology can help bridge the market's unmet demands
Survey closed! Watch your inbox for the results.
The AuditNet® 2017 State of Technology Use by Auditors is now closed and we are compiling the results This was a follow up to our 2015 survey in order to determine what tools audit departments are using, how the tools are being used, the level of use and where auditors see themselves on the Audit Utilization of Technology Optimization Scale (AUTOS). This follow up will measure progress since our last survey to determine changes in the professional landscape. AuditNet® has been on the leading edge of the profession when it comes to encouraging auditors and audit departments to integrate the use of technology in their methodology. Surveys by other organizations recognize the added value that technology affords auditors however it does not appear that a paradigm shift is imminent. AuditNet® has added a new training that emphasized audit technology use. In a addition through collaborative partnerships we have made videos available to the audit community to disseminate knowledge on the use of audit technology. Watch the newsletter for the results.
Enhancing Risk Assessments & Audit Planning 10 Key Considerations - The 2017 TeamMate Audit Technology Insights report builds on the results of TeamMate's 2016 Global Audit Technology Survey, which focused on enhancing risk assessments and audit planning, topics of major interest to internal auditors around the world. This report expands on our 2016 survey research with input and insights from leading auditors. We also cite a number of findings from The IIA's 2015/2016 CBOK (Common Body of Knowledge) Global Internal Audit Study that relate to and support our report narrative. click here!
SUBSCRIBERS BENEFIT! AuditNet® current paid subscribers (basic and premium) and enterprise site license users enjoy the benefit of registering and attending AuditNet® featured Webinars without paying an event fee (does not apply to free or trial subscriptions). Those who attend and meet NASBA criteria will earn CPE. The bottom line is that subscribers have the ability to download AuditNet® content AND earn CPE by attending our AuditNet® featured Webinars! Attendance at our featured Webinars will be limited to the first 1,000 AuditNet registered subscribers and site license user attendees logging in so it is important to register for the events and then log in early on the scheduled day. Due to the limitation on Webinar seats non-subscribers can register and attend the Webinars but must opt-in for our mailing list. Non subscribers or non site license users who attend and want CPE must meet NASBA eligibility criteria and pay a processing fee for CPE. Non-subscribers or non site license users who chose to opt-out will not be allowed to attend and their registration link will be revoked. AuditNet® reserves the right to deny any user access to the webinars if they opt out of our mailing list. The CPE, registration, and attendance policy is subject to change at our discretion.
Culture Audits: The Audit That Most Auditors Are Not Doing! - Culture is a hot discussion topic in auditing circles. The assessment of culture is coming into focus as a key responsibility for internal audit at many organizations. Culture was identified as a high risk to an organization by more than half (56%) of respondents to a poll by the Institute of Internal Auditors Financial Services Audit Center. The survey of more than 400 respondents represents the views of internal auditors primarily from North American financial services organizations. According to a recent survey of almost 800 auditors by AuditNet®, despite the recognition of culture as a risk, most auditors do not address culture as part of their audit plan. . A little more than one-third (37%) of survey respondents said culture assessment is embedded in their existing internal audit programs, and few reported having specific audit programs focused on organizational culture. For the survey results click here. For the key observation and 10 suggestions for implementing culture audits and improving relationships within your organization read the report!
Are You a CPA? AuditNet® created a CPA Resources page and added templates specifically designed for CPAs. These templates are now included in the subscriber content. If you are a CPA and looking for working paper templates in Excel format then consider subscribing to AuditNet® today! (Extra benefit for subscribers starting in 2017 includes Webinars with CPE)
AuditNet® has a plethora of fraud fighting resources for auditors. The fraud section of the site provides auditors with a central portal with links to tools, techniques and resources for fighting fraud. The section includes links to templates, fraud related articles, resources, training and more. Watch for new fraud related templates coming in 2017 for subscribers! In addition beginning in 2017 registered active Premium and Group subscribers will be able to register and attend all of our fraud training at no additional cost.
2017 Webinars with CPE
Our 2017 Webinar schedule is progressing. Webinar registration will be open to all. Attendance is limited to the first 1,000 with first preference to subscribers and site license users. We will require proof that attendees are eligible through AuditNet registration or site license criteria.
Join our mailing list to stay up to date with our webinars with CPE, new templates and more!
Check the event listings regularly to find the events and register. The events will also be listed on the Encoursa Web site.
AuditNet® joined forces with various trainers to address one of the top priorities and resource constraints facing audit departments today including the consistent use of analytics throughout the audit process
Previously Recorded Webinars will be available on-demand with CPE from cRisk Academy
- Agile Auditing - Rethinking the Audit Plan (Available as VOD from cRiskAcademy with CPE)
- Fraud Detection (Fraud Series Part 3 of 8) (Available as VOD from cRiskAcademy with CPE)
- Risk Based Auditing (Available as VOD from cRiskAcademy with CPE)
- Detecting Corruption and Other Business Conflicts With Analytics - Recording Available for free viewing (If you want CPE click here)
- Writing to Achieve Results (Available as VOD from cRiskAcademy with CPE)
- How to Get the Right Data for Your Audit in 3 Easy Steps
- Sure Fire Ways to Succeed with Data Analytics February 1, 2017 Recording Only (Available as VOD from cRiskAcademy with CPE)
- IT Fraud Series: Fraud and Forensic Accounting Recorded (Available as VOD from cRiskAcademy with CPE)
- Top 10 Excel Analytic Tests to Minimize Fraud and Process Risks: Recorded (Available as VOD from cRiskAcademy with CPE)
The following Webinars are also planned for 2017
- Internal Audit's Role in Ethics, Governance, & Culture (1 CPE)
- IT Fraud and Countermeasures (2 CPE
- Digital Evidence (2 CPE)
- Data Analytics (2 CPE)
- Fraud Auditing Creative Techniques (2 CPE)
- Forensic and Investigative Audit Reporting (2 CPE)
- Detecting and Auditing for Fraud in Financial Statements Using Data Analysis (2 CPE)
- Proof of Concept: Making Your Work Repeatable (2 CPE)
- Are you a Smart CAAT or a Copy CAAT (2 CPE)
- Best Practices for conducting an Anti-Fraud Review (2 CPE)
- Role of Audit in Application/change projects (2 CPE)
- Shorten the Audit Life Cycle (2 CPE)
The following recorded training is offered by AuditNet® and it's Partners and no CPE is provided for viewing the recordings.
AuditNet® has joined forces with Richard Cascarino and Associates to bring you a structured learning curriculum for IT audit. The recorded courses are designed to build on skills developed from prior knowledge or training. Auditors can choose between the complete series or pick and choose specific recordings depending on both needs as well as budgetary financial constraints.The study program consists of 5 modules Basic and 5 modules Advanced spanning a broad range of topics and issues in the IT Auditing field. The emphasis is therefore on practical aspects of internal auditing.The course content is based upon ISACA Framework which has been accepted world-wide as the basis of skills and competencies required for all IT Auditors. (Please note these recordings are presented by a partner of AuditNet® with no CPE provided. Any questions or details of the recordings should be directed to Richard Cascarino.
IDEA Recorded Training (no CPE) - a series of twelve 2-hour recorded webinars designed to build on skills developed from prior knowledge or training. Auditors can choose between the complete series or pick and choose specific recordings depending on both needs as well as budgetary financial constraints.
Tell an audit peer, colleague, associate or friend about Auditnet® and if they subscribe AND let us know that you recommended us we will give you a Basic subscription if you are not a subscriber or add 2 months to your Premium subscription if you already are a subscriber.
AuditNet® Recorded Webinars (some of the following recordings may have data files which are available for a fee)
- Essentials for Conducting FCPA Audits
- BYOD Risk, Control and Audit
- Using Keyword Analytics on Unstructured Data Data Files including over 3,000 keywords available for $79
- Using Microsoft Excel in Your Next Internal and External Audit
- Leveraging Excel-Based Analytics in Your Audit and S-Ox Testing of Procurement to Accounts Payable - A Case Study Approach
- How to Request, Import and Normalize Data for a Variety Accounting Packages
The following recordings of our free events are available on our recording site. You must register in order to view these recordings.
AuditNet® has made recordings of a selection of our Webinars available to the audit community in order to demonstrate the power of leveraging technology. These Webinars are part of the AuditNet® commitment to sharing.
The recordings will be available on AuditSoftwareVideos.com Powered by AuditNet our Webinar Channel and YouTube (registration required). If you would like to earn CPE fo these and other recorded events please visit cRisk Academy. The slides for these and other Webinars are available on SlideShare.
AuditNet® 2017 Update - All AuditNet® Webinars will be available for free registration. Attendance at our featured Webinars will be limited to the first 1,000 attendees logging in with preference to subscribers and site license users so it is important to register for the events and then log in early on the scheduled day. Due to the limitation on Webinar seats, site license users are eligible for the no cost attendance offer subject to proof of site license held. Non-subscribers will still be able to register and attend the Webinars based on availability or if they pay the registration fee. (AuditNet® will continue to offer these no cost events in addition to the AuditNet® featured events open to the general audit population with limited seating). Non subscribers and non site license users can earn CPE if they are willing to pay the processing fee. (rates are subject to change).
AuditNet® also has more than 100 templates in the queue for fraud, construction audit, retail banking, COSO 2013, CPA engagements and more. For auditors who would prefer to have all of our templates on a flash drive please contact us for the rates and terms. This is being offered as a solution to those auditors who would prefer having all the templates available rather than downloading one at a time. Software vendors and consultants providing services to clients may also use this option however the pricing and terms and conditions will be different than for individuals.Audit Bookstore - see all the books that are available for auditors
Audit Templates and Programs
Content additions (audit programs, monographs) The following programs were added this month and are now available to Premium, Group and Enterprise Site License users. Come to our site to download a list of all the templates.
Current Month Additions
- Business Continuity Audit Checklist (free for all subscribers through July 31)
- Business Continuity Plan Audit (free for all subscribers through July 31)
- Business Continuity Plan Business Impact Analysis (free for all subscribers through July 31)
- ORACLE Financial Systems Risk Control Matrix General Ledger
- ORACLE Financial Systems Risk Control Matrix Inventory
- ORACLE Financial Systems Risk Control Matrix Purchasing and A/P
- Vendor Due Diligence Red Flags
Next Month Additions
- Electronic Statement Procedures - Risk Control Matrix
- Cash Deposit Services - Risk Control Matrix
- COSO-Internal Control Framework (C2) Control .Activities Consideration of Fraud
- COSO-Internal Control Framework (C2) Control .Activities Corporate Relations
- COSO-Internal Control Framework (C2) Control .Activities Legal Affairs
- Business Continuity Plan Template (AuditNet Monograph Series)
Theme of the Month - Business Continuity
As the evolution of the internal audit function accelerates, the portfolio of skills and attributes that determine professional success transform, given the pace of technological and business change, it is safe to note the need for internal auditors to update existing technical skills and acquire new technical skills."
We started our research on this topic by Googling (yes that is a verb) 'auditing business continuity'. You can easily do the same substituting terms relating to the topic to other specific issues to further customize the results. Over the past 20 years we have developed an expertise in finding relevant information for auditors. These links are provided to add to your knowledge bases on the theme of this month's newsletter.
- Audit of Business Continuity Planning Report Sample
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Plan Audit
- How Can Internal Audit Assess Business Continuity and Crisis Management Plans?
- How To Audit Business Continuity Programs
AuditNet® conducts periodic user surveys based on relevant or hot topics as well as areas suggested by our users. Surveys completed.
- 2016 Audit Technology Capabilities and Needs Assessment (Sponsored Survey)
- 2016 Audit Technology Training Effectiveness
- 2015 Data Analytics Audit Software Survey link to the survey responses.
- 2015 State of Technology Use by Auditors Click here for the survey results.
- 2015 Who's Training Your Auditors? AuditNet® Survey of the Impact of Technology Learning Transfer Click here for the results.
- 2014 Survey on How Professionals Find, Track and Maintain CPE Requirement.Read the report or the news item or view the survey results!
- 2014 Audit Use of Keyword Analytics for Compliance and Fraud Detection
- 2014 AuditNet® Survey of Bring your own Device (BYOD) Control, Risk and Audit
- 2013 Fraud Detection Techniques Using Technology 3rd Annual Survey
- 2013 AuditNet Media Risk Control and Audit 2nd Annual Survey
- AuditNet® 2012 State of Technology Use by Auditors 2012
- State of Technology Use by Auditors - over 1,500 auditors responded
- 2012 Survey Report on Data Analysis Audit Software
- AuditNet Media - Risk, Control and Audit Survey 2011
- Fraud Hot Spots 2010
- 2009 Audit Software Survey
Additional Surveys Planned for 2017
- Keyword Analytics Tools and Techniques Update
- Audit Software Tools and Techniques Survey Update
- Champion/Power User Impact on Leveraging Audit Technology Survey
- Software Tools and Techniques for Managing Audits (TBA)
- Using Technology for Detecting Fraud (TBA)
Don't miss our events and offers for no cost CPE. Sign up now and opt in to our mailing list!
Follow AuditNet® on these Apps